Thursday, October 20, 2011

Willowy whimsy

A couple of months ago my mum gave me some cuttings of basket willow - a species that has been bred to produce the long, straight shoots needed for basket weaving. She assured me that if I put them in the ground they would happily sprout leaves and roots. I was somewhat skeptical but am happy to report the cuttings have taken to their new homes with vigour.

You can make all kinds of things from thin and flexible living willow rods, like domes and tunnels. I'd seen pictures of living willow fences and thought one of these would make a great wind break for my main vege patch. It's a little wonky but does the trick.

I criss-crossed the stakes and tied them together with willow shoots:


They're happily sprouting leaves, which should fill the structure out a bit more and make it more effective as a wind break. As new shoots grow off the main stakes you can weave them back in to the structure.


I also planted some short stumps with the aim of harvesting the shoots to make baskets. You're supposed to coppice them (i.e. cut off all the new growth) in late autumn to prevent them branching out.


I had some leftover willow ties so I put them in a jar of water, whereupon they enthusiastically started growing. I'm not quite sure what to do with them....

No comments:

Post a Comment